Congratulations to our Growth Mindset Art Contest Winners!
Dear Belmont-Redwood Shores Community,
Thank you for your interest in our District’s strategic plan. In the fall of 2014, 25 community members and staff came together to develop a forward-looking vision for our students’ education. In December 2014, the Board of Trustees adopted this vision for our strategic direction for the next several years. Later in the spring of 2015, staff and many of the strategic plan committee members collaborated on an implementation plan for that vision. On July 1, 2015, the Board held a study session to focus on the strategic plan and further develop the implementation plan. The Board advised staff to focus on one strategic direction per year for the next four years. The guidance was to pursue the four strategic directions in this order:
2015-16: Instilling a mindset for learning
2016-17: Create a collaborative culture of learning
2017-18: Sustain a learning environment that promotes a capacity for innovation
2018-19: Foster responsible global citizenship
Following this plan, staff has promoted the importance of a “growth mindset” as the District’s overarching theme for the 2015-16 school year. We are building awareness among staff, students, and parents, and we are providing resources for learning. The action plan for the 2015-16 school year can be found here.
Resources for learning are below:
Books for adults:
- Carol Dweck - Mindset: The New Psychology of Sucess - Paperback - Kindle eBook (Recommended for parents and distributed to all District staff.)
Books for children:
- Your Fantastic Elastic Brain (JoAnn Deak) - Hardcover - Kindle eBook
- The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes (Mark Pett and Gary Rubinstein) - Hardcover - Kindle eBook
- Making a Splash: Growth Mindset for Kids (Carol E. Reiley) - Hardcover - Kindle eBook
- Carol Dweck: The power of believing that you can improve. (TED Talk)
- Eduardo Briceno - The Power of belief -- mindset and success (TEDx Talk)
- Angela Lee Duckworth - The key to success? Grit (TED Talk)
- Paul Tough - How Children Succeed - The Hidden Power of Character
In addition to these resources, we plan to have a parent information night with a keynote speaker and panel in early February 2016. Should you have any questions, comments, or suggestions for us, please contact me at email@example.com.
Thank you for your support of our students and schools.
Michael Milliken, Ph.D.